Main Directory

List of All Articles

Please use this page as a reference for available articles in this blog. Thank you!   Monster Hunter: World Guides: A Hunter's T...

Thursday, January 18, 2018

My Honest Take on Dissidia NT: A Review-Rant Special, Kupo

This is just my honest opinion on Final Fantasy Dissidia: NT. The NT stands for New Tale by the way, as it is supposed to be a sequel to the previous releases. But... ugh, If you're a returning Dissidia player and tried out the Beta, we might be on the same page. If you want the short version just watch the video but you'll get a better understanding if you read this whole entry.

You know what, this actually feels more like a rant than a review. Ha ha. So please hear me out! I need someone to console me.

It really looks good on paper and previews. In fact, that opening video still gives me the chills. I wish that we could see more of those scenes as well as a good story mode. Looking at the positive side, the graphics are really great and the details given to the game in actual battle looks terrific. The whole idea of our favorite Final Fantasy characters together in one game is very much intact, even adding up characters from spin-offs and its new major releases. Yeah, I see you, Noctis! Another thing I love about the game is the soundtrack. The opening theme and the improved versions from previous Final Fantasy OST's are awesome. They fit the game's fast pace as it gives you a pumped-up feeling. Hands down for this splendid soundtrack!

However... upon playing the beta, I realized that there are a lot of missing key elements in the previous Dissidia games that originally made the game superb. As a fan of the old PSP games, I can honestly say that I am very much disappointed with NT. I'm sure a lot of players are, because it feels like a watered down version of its predecessors. Sure, they have to exclude features such as the assist system and the EX system such as EX mode and EX bursts since it is a 3 vs 3 fighting game to balance the gameplay. Yet somehow I wish they could have at least kept the ability to customize your characters attacks or skillset. In NT, we can only go with preset bravery attacks. Worse is that you can only equip one HP attack the entire match. Talk about being repetitive and predictable. Going back to the PSP versions, you can assign which HP and bravery attacks to use depending on your button input. This gives ample flexibility and character playing style variations. Say for example, I use Sephiroth. I can assign Heaven's Light HP attack to up+square button, which is an upward attack, Hell's Gate to down+square button, which is a downward attack, and then finally, Scintilla on neutral square button, for that tasty counterattack move. You can choose which one to use depending on the situation. This applies to bravery attacks as well. Now for NT, you can only choose one HP attack. In this case, Sephiroth initially has access to only Scintilla and then as you progress and level up gain new HP attacks. Still, you can only choose one pre-battle and stick with it for the entire match. B-o-r-i-n-g. On the previous games, you have to familiarize yourself with each character's HP attack so you could know the timing and how to dodge the attack. In NT, you just have to take note of the HP attack your enemy uses and there are no mixups or variations, you know which HP attack is coming each time. Only Vaan in NT can equip two HP attacks by the way. The accessory and equipment customization is gone as well. Goodbye to the old days farming for your favorite set to use with your playing style. I remember using multipliers and various stuff focusing on building up the assist gauge. Oh, how I miss thee.

For a $60-game, they could at least have included a legit story mode that players can mess around with. Instead we get cutscenes or memories that are unlocked after certain battles. Not everyone can go online at all times and to fully enjoy NT, you need to have friends or allies that know exactly what they're doing. If not, oh boy, you're in for a rough ride. People say it is a different game. Yes it is, and it does feel like it. But, Dissidia is Dissidia, fans know what they want and they'll surely miss the old features and maybe expecting new ones. Aside from being a 3v3 game, there aren't really any new mechanics to it. Sure, they changed the way EX skills and Summons work, but then that's it. The thrill of racing towards an EX crystal is replaced with a summon crystal that you need to destroy. It's totally chaotic  out there and the targeting system is not well polished. Hell, I press L2+R2 to shift to the nearest enemy, but it somehow doesn't work and it's hard to cycle to the exact opponent you are targeting. It's all too frustrating for me. It doesn't feel like a fighting game to me but rather like "In Space We Brawl" a PS Plus free game a few months ago, where you select a spaceship, play 3 vs 3, and shoot at each other until the timer or opponent's lives run out, as simple as that. Go check it out and see what I mean.

You see, this is my own take and my own opinion, but I don't see myself investing time and money on this game. At first I thought I felt a surge of excitement and enjoyment, but after a few games doing nothing but Cross Slashes with Cloud, I am done convincing myself that this was the game I was waiting for, for the past few years. It is a good game, but it is not for everyone. Maybe those who are new to Dissidia and looking to dive into the franchise will have a much better time. I wish all the players good luck and remember that the most important thing is having fun. If it gives you that much fun then I am glad you have found that in this game. It really does have that much potential as it emphasizes teamwork. As for me and my buddies, maybe we'll just wait for updates or until a new release/expansion comes out. This is all just based on the Beta so things could go on a different and brighter direction. I'll just sit back and check the news about this game from time to time.
In the end, I'll probably give it a 3 out of 5. Not bad at all. Happy gaming, kupo!

Here's the video version by the way...





No comments:

Post a Comment